Who We Serve
In the starfish story entitled “The Star Thrower” by Loren Eiseley, a young man is walking along the beach when he stumbles upon hundreds of starfish that have washed up with the tide. As the tide went out and the sun rose higher and higher, he began throwing starfish into the ocean. When an older man asked why, he said he was throwing them in so they wouldn’t die. Skeptically, the older man remarked that there were too many starfish and throwing them in would not make a difference. Defiant, the young man picked up a starfish on the sand and said “It made a difference for that one.”
This is how it is for Mary’s Place by the Sea. We try to make a difference to every woman who walks through our doors.
The women who come to Mary’s Place by the Sea are from all over the United States. While a majority of our guests are from New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Connecticut, we have had visitors from as far as Alaska, California and Florida. The integrative approach of Mary’s Place by the Sea has appealed to many women with cancer seeking to respite from their treatment.
Since 2009, Mary’s Place has served 9,000 women with all forms of cancer across the United States.
GUEST RESERVATION GUIDELINES
EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 2018
- Mary's Place by the Sea welcomes WOMEN diagnosed with any type of cancer, who are in active treatment or up to one year post-treatment.
- Mary's Place by the Sea welcomes WOMEN diagnosed with any type of cancer, who choose not to be treated, up to two years post-diagnosis.
- Mary's Place is currently accepting reservations for all NEW guests.
- Guests who are currently scheduled and need to cancel due to a medical conflict may reschedule a visit, even is they are no longer within the guidelines.
- Reservations will be accepted for Guests who have visited for the DAY ONLY and would like to reserve an OVERNIGHT stay.
- Guests of Mary's Place may reserve an OVERNIGHT stay ONE time per year, provided they remain within the guidelines, i.e. in active treatment, up to one year post-treatment, or two years post-diagnosis if not seeking treatment.
- Mary's Place by the Sea will host two Survivor Weekends per year, to accommodate Guests who are two years post-treatment.